Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A New Appreciation for Big Box Stores

As a dietitian I'm used to the popular notion that larger food packaging = increased likeliness to overeat, given it's a little harder to estimate proper portion size.  For this reason and the fact that you can usually get better coupon deals on smaller packaging, I've been avoiding the big box stores.  However, I was left with no choice this weekend when my fiancée decided to get new glasses at Costco.

Despite not being able to use the regular coupons (and only the ones in store), I can across some good produce and perishable deals, and am happy to say I look forward to shopping there again!

My favorite purchase?


Regular Yogurt (which is always cheaper than the flavoured btw)  2kg for only $5.49

The container is a little larger than the regular size we would see in the grocery store.  Based on some very rough calculations, it would be similar to paying $2.06 /tub 

There's a $55 membership fee, but if you have several mouths to feed and think you'll save more than that amount by shopping there/year it's certainly worth the initial investment 
- just remember to be conscious of portion size, and not eat more just because it's available!


  

No comments:

Post a Comment